Sunday, July 24, 2011

News: an observational post about the generational divide regarding news gathering

My daughter, who is 15 and gets virtually all her news and information from social media (or the John Stewart show) tells me the news practically the minute things are happening. She always knows the facts and is very up to the minute. I am shocked some times at how quickly the news finds her.

I, on the other hand generally use more traditional print and online newspaper sources combined with a little of "Morning Joe" and know less about immediate happenings, media and celebrity news, and less stories in general and have a more in depth view of the things I follow or am interested in, perhaps you could say I know more about fewer events and happenings.


I am curious as to how the news industry will respond over time in order to provide news rapidly, without sacrificing fact checking and background information and in a format appealing to her generation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment